When a property manager is showing homes, they need to be prepared to answer common questions that prospective tenants will have regarding the property and the property manager business. When you can’t answer common questions, tenants have their trust in your property management company drops. Before you show another rental home make sure you can answer the following questions:
1. What is the rent, deposit, pet deposit, and application fees?
2. What lease terms do you offer? Can I get a discount for signing a longer lease?
3. What is your pet policy?
4. What do you look for on the application? How are tenants screened?
5. When is the soonest available move in date?
6. How many other applications do you have for this home?
7. What is your subleasing policy? What happens if I have to move for my job?
8. Can I list my home on Air BNB when I am not staying there?
9. What happens if we need to break our lease?
10. After my lease do I renew or go month to month?
11. Do you give notice before entering the home after I move in?
12. Is off-street parking available? What are the parking arrangements?
13. What is the crime rate in the area? Has a crime ever been committed in this home?
14. Can I paint, put up shelves or hang artwork inside the home?
15. Are any utilities included?
16. Who is responsible for lawn care and snow removal?
17. How much notice do we need to give if we do not want to renew our lease?
18. Can I plant a garden or do landscaping?
19. Can we put a pool in the backyard?
20. How do we pay rent?
21. Do we get our deposit back after we move out? How long does it take?
22. Are we required to purchase renter’s insurance?
23. What is the late fee and grace period for paying rent?
24. What school district does this home fall into?
25. What are the nearby churches/grocery stores/ department stores/ gas stations etc.
A great property manager will be able to answer all of these questions and be prepared for odd or unusual ones as well. If you are interested in learning more about Scott Properties, contact us Here.